Bamya - Turkish Okra Stew
Bamya (or Bamia) is a classic Turkish Okra Stew dish made with okra, tomatoes, onion, garlic and lemon juice.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
- 6-8 chicken legs
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 400 g tomatoes (grated)
- 1 red chilli (chopped)
- 600 g okra
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 250 ml chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
Put a Dutch oven or a heavy-based pan on medium heat.
Sear the chicken pieces until slightly browned and then set them aside on a plate.
Add the onions to the pan and sauté them for a few minutes, until soft and translucent.
Stir in the garlic, sauté for 30 seconds and then add the tomato paste.
Mix well before adding the grated tomatoes and chillies. Gently deglaze the pan with the juices from the tomatoes.
Add the chicken pieces to the pan along with the okra, lemon juice, salt and the stock.
Give them a good stir and bring the pan to a boil.
Lower the heat and gently simmer the stew on low heat for 40 to 45 minutes, until the okra and the chicken pieces are tender.
Remove the pan from the heat and let it rest for five minutes before serving.
- Use a heavy–bottomed pan or a Dutch Oven as they distribute the heat more evenly.
- Okra has a very short season and is only available during the summer. However, you can freeze this healthy vegetable in an airtight container for up to 5 months.
- The secret to this Bamya recipe is the long, slow simmering that brings the flavours gently together.
- Traditionally, the Bamia dish consists of lamb, beef or goat, lots of tomatoes, and okra. I prefer chicken legs or wings same as my mom used to do for us as a child. You can leave the meat out for the vegetarian/vegan version.
- Cooking the okra with tomatoes and lemon juice helps avoid slimness.
- The leftover Bamia Stew will keep for up to five days when refrigerated.
Calories: 547kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 180mg | Sodium: 1075mg | Potassium: 1272mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2449IU | Vitamin C: 75mg | Calcium: 169mg | Iron: 3mg