Easy Chicken Stock (Bone Broth)
If you knew how easy it is to make your Chicken Stock (Bone Broth), you would never use the store-bought version again. Not only it is easy to make homemade stock, but it is also healthier and cheaper.
Servings: 4 Litres
- 1 kg chicken carcass, wings or bones (cut in chunks)
- 1 large onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 large carrot (roughly chopped)
- 2 celery sticks (roughly chopped)
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 litres water
- few parsley stalks (optional)
- few mushroom stems (optional)
Place the chicken pieces in a large pot.
Roughly chop the onions, carrots, and celery sticks and add them to the pan.
Add the aromatics such as bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns, parsley stalks(optional), and mushroom stems(optional).
Fill the pot with cold water and put on high heat until it boils.
Turn the heat down and let it simmer for 3 to 4 hours on very low heat, don’t let it boil.
Remove from the heat and let it cool down for 10 minutes before straining.
When cooled down a bit, strain through a fine sieve and pour into the jars.
Store in the fridge for a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To make sure your chicken bone broth gels every time, make sure to include bones that have connective tissues.
- Make sure there are some pieces of meat on the bones for a deeper flavor, or just add a piece of meat if the bones are bare.
- Fill the pan with cold water, the amount of water should be double the amount of the chicken.
- For a clear stock, let it simmer, not boil! Boiling the stock emulsifies the fat and creates a cloudy, flat taste.
- Let it cool down for 10 minutes before passing through a fine sieve to avoid burning with splashes of boiling liquid.
- Let the fat settle in a layer on top of the stock as it cools. This way, the fat will create a protective layer over the stock and it will last a bit longer in the refrigerator.
Calories: 70kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 45mg | Potassium: 364mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 8805IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 1mg