These amazing Duck Fat Roasted Potatoes are extremely delicious and they have the most crispy skin with a fluffy and creamy inside. They are the most essential side dish of any roast meal whether it is a Christmas Dinner or a Sunday Lunch.
Garlic and rosemary are the perfect flavourings for these oven-roasted potatoes. You can infuse them in duck fat for a few hours to create a more intense flavour or omit them for a simpler flavour.
This simple recipe is the key to super crunchy roasted potatoes with a soft inside and it creates the perfect roasties. If you want to learn the best way to make roast potatoes, follow my simple tips and tricks!
Why This Recipe Works?
- You can transform it to vegan-friendly with replacing the duck fat with olive oil.
- Very easy to follow with step-by-step pictures and cooking instructions.
- It comes out of the oven perfect each time.
- Perfect side dish to complement roasts and many other dishes.
Ingredients and Substitutes
- Potatoes - The best potatoes for roasting are Desire, King Edwards, Maris Pipers and Yukon Golds.
- Duck Fat - It has a high smoke point, so is ideal for roasting potatoes. It also adds a crispy texture as well as rich and luxurious flavour to the potatoes. Goose fat is a perfect substitute and for the vegetarian/vegan option, you can use vegetable oil instead.
- Rosemary - It is a great aromatic herb and pairs perfectly with roasted potatoes. You can also use thyme, oregano or sage for extra flavouring.
- Garlic - Use whole garlic cloves with the skin on to prevent them from burning.
- Seasoning - I use plenty of salt for roast potatoes. I also love adding a bit of paprika and black pepper but you can adjust them to your taste or totally omit them.
Step by Step Instructions
It is very easy to make super crispy roasted potatoes and to achieve the best results, you need to follow a few simple steps:
- Par-boil the potatoes - First thing first, preheat your oven to 200 °C. We need a hot oven for golden and crispy potatoes. While the oven heats up, get your ingredients together and start peeling the potatoes. Cut them into even-sized chunky pieces and then place them in a pan with plenty of water. Bring the water to a boil on medium heat and then cook the potatoes for 8 to 10 minutes, until they are slightly softened.
- Roast the potatoes - Drain the potatoes in a colander and then shake the colander to fluff them up. Let them cool down while heating the duck fat. Place the duck fat in the roasting tray and heat it until piping hot in preheated oven. When the fat is hot enough, add the seasoning, garlic and rosemary to the fat. Transfer the potatoes into the tray and give it a good stir to cover the potatoes with fat and seasoning.
Place the tray in the hot oven and bake the potatoes for 3o minutes. Give them a shake, turn the oven down to 180 °C and cook for another 15 minutes, until they are golden and crispy outside.
If you want to achieve golden and crispy outside with fluffy and creamy inside roasted potatoes, you need to par-boil your potatoes until their surface start softening. When the surface of the potatoes is softened, it is easy to rough them up to create the desired crispy texture.
These super crispy roast potatoes are the perfect match for my Dutch Oven Roast Chicken. Other dishes that would complement roast potatoes are Baked Prawns (Karides Guvec), Inegol Kofte or Rice Stuffed Chicken served with Mediterranean Green Beans(Taze Fasulye).
Top Tip From the Chef
Drain the potatoes and let them dry with their own steam before putting them into the hot oil tray.
Equipment you might find handy
I hope you enjoy the process of making these perfect roast potatoes as much as you enjoy eating them! 🙂
Bon appétit! / Afiyet Olsun!
Duck Fat Roasted Potatoes
- 1 kg potatoes (King Edwards, Maris Pipers, Yukon Golds or Desire potatoes)
- 70 g duck fat (Use vegetable oil or olive oil for vegetarian / vegan option)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200 °C.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into even-sized chunky pieces.
- Place the potatoes in a pan with plenty of water and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until they are slightly softened.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and then shake the colander to fluff them up.
- Let them cool down while heating the duck fat until piping hot in the roasting tray.
- When the fat is hot enough, add the seasoning, garlic and rosemary to the fat.
- Transfer the potatoes into the tray and give it a good stir to cover the potatoes with fat and seasoning.
- Place the tray in the hot oven and bake the potatoes for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, give them a shake, turn the oven down to 180 °C and cook for another 15 minutes until they are crispy and golden outside.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
This post use affiliate links. This means that if you click on them and then buy something, we get a small amount of commission to keep the site running, but it doesn’t cost you anything more.
Did you make this recipe?