Tomato and Walnut Salad (Gavurdagi Salatasi) is a traditional dish made with tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and walnuts. This refreshing and colourful salad is full of different textures and flavours and goes perfectly with all sorts of meat-based dishes. The main characteristic is that the veggies are cut into quite small cubes. Apart from some cutting labour, the recipe is quite easy and quick to put together.
One of the main ingredients of Tomato and Walnut Salad is the pomegranate molasses which is a very popular ingredient in Turkey. It adds an amazing tangy and sweet flavour to the salads. You can buy them from Middle Eastern markets, or you can find them online. Just make sure that the molasses is natural and made of 100% pomegranate seeds as some alternatives tend to add sugar or other additives.Jump to Recipe
How to Make Tomato and Walnut Salad (Gavurdagi Salatasi)?
Although this is a very easy recipe, you need to follow few simple steps to achieve the best results:
- Cut the vegetables – Tomatoes are one of the main ingredients for this delicious salad so try to use red and juicy tomatoes. It will make a big difference in taste. Cut the tomatoes into small cubes, approximately 1-2 cm. Cucumber is not a traditional ingredient for this salad but I like the freshness and texture it adds. Peel the cucumbers and deseed them, then cut them into small cubes same size as tomatoes. Chop the onions the same size as the rest of the vegetables then place all of them in a large bowl along with the chopped parsley.
- Prepare the dressing – Place the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, pomegranate molasses and salt in a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside. Pomegranate molasses is a popular ingredient in Middle Eastern, Turkish and Mediterranean cuisines, which is made by boiling and reducing pomegranate juice. It adds a sweet and sour flavour to the salads and dishes. You can substitute the pomegranate molasses with balsamic glaze. However, I highly recommend buying a bottle of pomegranate molasses and use it as a salad dressing.
- Combine and garnish – Add the dressing to the vegetables and gently stir to combine. Serve the salad in a large salad bowl or individual small bowls. Finally, garnish the salad with chopped walnuts and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses.
I hope you enjoy the process of making this refreshing Gavurdagi Salad as much as you enjoy eating it!🙂
Bon appétit! / Afiyet olsun!
Tomato and Walnut Salad (Gavurdagi Salatasi)
- 1 ½ tbsp pomegranate molasses
- ½ TSP salt (adjust to your taste)
- 5-6 walnut to garnish (chopped or crushed)
For the Salad
- 4 medium tomatoes
For the Dressing
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp pomegranate molasses
- ⅔ TSP salt (adjust to your taste)
- 5-6 walnut halves (to garnish)
- Chop the tomatoes into small cubes (1-2 cm) and place them in a large bowl.
- Peel and deseed the cucumber, and cut them into small cubes (1-2 cm). Then add them into the bowl with tomatoes.
- Peel and finely dice the onion, and add them into the bowl along with the finely chopped parsley and the chopped walnuts.
- Place the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, pomegranate molasses and salt in a small bowl and whisk.
- Add the dressing to the vegetables and give it a good stir until nicely combined.
- Garnish with chopped walnuts and drizzle of pomegranate molasses.
Did you make this recipe?