Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins are the perfect combination of a simple chocolate cake mix topped with cream cheese and juicy strawberries. They are perfect for breakfast or a snack on the go and are extremely easy to make. With only a few basic ingredients, these moist and flavourful cheesecake muffins come together in just 10 minutes!
I usually make a batch of these yummy chocolate muffins loaded with strawberries and sweet cream cheese filling, and store them in the freezer for emergency cravings. They freeze beautifully and defrost quickly.
Why This Recipe Works?
- These homemade Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins are better than the ones from your local bakery.
- What I like most about this recipe is that it doesn't require much whisking.
- Same as my delicious Baklava Cheesecake and Cranberry Cheesecake Brownies, these cream cheese-filled muffins taste even better on the second day and they keep fresh for up to 3 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer.
- Made with basic ingredients, these only take about 10 minutes of total hands-on time.
Ingredients and Substitutes
- Strawberries - Use fresh strawberries when in season. Frozen strawberries would also work with this recipe. When using frozen strawberries, keep in mind that they produce a lot of juice when thawing. Make sure to drain the liquid before adding the fruit to the batter. If you add the thawed frozen strawberries straight to the mixture the juice will bleed into the batter and turn the colour pink. Alternatively, you can substitute them with raspberries or any berries that are in season.
- Cream Cheese - It adds flavour and also makes these muffins super moist. Bring the cream cheese to room temperature before using it.
- Sugar - Both granulated and caster sugar works great with this recipe.
- Egg - Use a fresh, free-range egg at room temperature.
- Self-raising flour - You can use plain/all-purpose flour with the addition of 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Vanilla paste - I use vanilla bean paste or extract for deep&delicious vanilla flavor.
- Vegetable oil - Oil makes the cakes moister so don't substitute it with melted butter. Use fresh vegetable oil that doesn’t have any off flavors. Substitute it with sunflower or rapeseed oil.
- Cacao Powder - I recommend using good quality unsweetened cocoa powder for a rich & bitter chocolate taste.
- Salt - It is necessary for balancing the flavor. A little goes long way!
- Apple vinegar - Or apple cider vinegar substitutes eggs and gives fluffiness to the muffins. Its taste disappears while cooking so you wouldn't even notice it was there.
- Dark chocolate chips - Use good quality chocolate chips or use a dark chocolate bar cut into small chunks.
How to Make Strawberry Cheesecake Muffins?
Although this is a very simple recipe, you need to follow few simple steps to achieve the best results:
- Prepare the cheesecake filling - Start with preheating the oven to 180 °C (fan oven). Place the cream cheese and sugar in a bowl and whisk until creamy. Add the egg and whisk until combined. Then add the chopped strawberries into the mixture and gently combine with a spoon. Set it aside while preparing the chocolate cake mixture.
- Prepare the chocolate cake mixture - Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with muffin liners. Sift the flour, cacao powder and salt in a large bowl then add the sugar along with the chocolate chips and mix until all combined. Add the water, vegetable oil, vinegar and vanilla paste to the flour mixture and gently mix until combined.
- Fill the muffin cases up and bake - Fill muffin cases ⅔ full with a chocolate cake mix then add 1 ½ tablespoon of cream cheese mixture on top. Alternatively, you can spoon 1 tablespoon of chocolate muffin batter into the muffin cups, then layer it with 1 ½ tablespoon of strawberry cheesecake filling, and then another tablespoon of chocolate muffin batter (or as much as necessary to fill the cups).
Place the muffin tin in preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the muffins cool down for 15 minutes before transferring on wire racks. Garnish them with a half strawberry before serving.
For more delicious breakfast / brunch recipes why not try:
These delicious chocolate muffins topped with strawberry cream cheese will stay fresh for up to 5 days when refrigerated. Alternatively, you can freeze them and keep them for up to 3 months.
Although you will have the best results with fresh strawberries, you can use frozen ones if that's what you have in hand. Make sure you thaw the strawberries and drain the excess water before mixing them with the cream cheese. If using frozen berries, don't freeze the muffins for storage.
Top Tip From the Chef
Avoid over whisking the chocolate cake mixture. Use a silicone spatula or wooden spoon and gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. The finished batter should be fully incorporated, without any lumps.
I hope you enjoy the process of making these super easy and delicious Strawberry Cheesecake Muffins as much as you enjoy eating them! 🙂
Bon appétit! / Afiyet Olsun!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins
For the Cheesecake Filling
- 180 g cream cheese (room temperature)
- 40 g sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 250 g strawberries (tips removed and cut in small cubes)
For the Chocolate Cake Mixture
- 250 g self raising flour (1 ½ cups)
- 30 g cacao powder (⅓ cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 175 g sugar (⅞ cup)
- 80 g dark chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate bar)
- 240 ml water (1 cup)
- 70 g vegetable oil (⅓ cup)
- 1 tablespoon apple vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or 1 vanilla pod
- 6 strawberries (for garnish)
Making the Cheesecake Filling
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (fan oven).
- Place the cream cheese and sugar in a bowl and whisk until creamy.
- Add the egg and whisk until combined.
- Add the strawberries into the mixture and gently combine with a spoon, set aside.
Making the Chocolate Cake
- Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with muffin liners.
- Sift the flour, cacao powder and salt in a large bowl then add the sugar along with the chocolate chips and mix until all combined.
- Add the water, vegetable oil, vinegar, and vanilla paste to the flour mixture and gently mix until combined.
- Fill muffin cases two-thirds full with a chocolate cake mix then add 1 ½ tablespoons of cream cheese mixture on top.
- Place the muffin tin in preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool down for 15 minutes before transferring on wire racks.
- Garnish them with a half of strawberry before serving.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more guidelines at USDA.gov.
This post use affiliate links. This means that if you click on them and then buy something, we get a small amount of commission to keep the site running, but it doesn’t cost you anything more.
Did you make this recipe?