Treat your loved ones to a delicious homemade dessert with these Easy Strawberry Puff Pastry Stacks with Cream!
This delicious French dessert features layers of flaky puff pastry, velvety diplomat creme, and juicy fresh strawberries for the ultimate sweet treat.
They're easy to make and guaranteed to please any crowd on a special occasion or family BBQ parties.
While the strawberries are still in the season, I wanted to share my easy-to-make perfect summertime dessert which has been a family favorite for over 20 years.
These light and flaky Strawberry Puff Pastries are not only easy to make but are also versatile.
You can fill them with your choice of cream, also you can replace the strawberries with other berries or bananas.
I use the same recipe for the diplomat creme that I use for French Strawberry Tart and Chocolate Eclair Cake with Choux Pastry but you can use simple creme patissiere (pastry cream) or creme chantilly.
Why This Recipe Works?
- Same as the Basque Burnt Cheesecake (San Sebastian Cheesecake) and Easy Sticky Toffee Pudding, Strawberry Puff Pastry is very easy to make, very impressive, and a crowd pleaser.
- One portion of Strawberry Puff Pastry has only 275 kcal.
- All you need is 320 grams of rolled puff pastry to make 10 individual mille-feuille cakes.
- You can prepare them a couple of days in advance, they will keep fresh for 2 to 3 days in an airtight container.
Ingredients for Easy Strawberry Puff Pastry Stacks with Cream
- Puff pastry - I use a rolled-up all-butter puff pastry sheet size of (35cmx23cm / 14"x9") (320 grams). You can buy them fresh or frozen from supermarkets. If using frozen, let it thaw before using and bring it to room temperature.
- Milk - I prefer using full-fat milk for making creme patissiere.
- Butter - Use good quality unsalted butter. It adds shine and flavor to the pastry creme.
- Egg yolks - They add richness and provide structure.
- Vanilla paste - I use organic vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract for deep&delicious vanilla flavor. Avoid using artificial vanilla for this recipe.
- Sugar - Both granulated and caster sugar works great with this recipe.
- Flour - I use plain flour and mix it with cornflour to thicken the pastry cream. You can omit it and use cornflour for the gluten-free version.
- Cream - You can use double cream/heavy cream or whipping cream to make the creme Chantilly. Make sure it is cold before whisking and keep it refrigerated until you need it.
- Strawberries - Use fresh strawberries as the frozen ones wouldn't work with this recipe. You can substitute them with raspberries or any berries when it is not the strawberry season.
How to Make Strawberry Slices?
This is a very easy and straightforward recipe to make.
However, to achieve the best results, you need to follow a few steps:
Prepare the Creme Diplomat
Place the milk, butter, and vanilla paste in a saucepan and gently bring to a simmer on low heat.
Remove the saucepan from the heat.
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture becomes pale and thick.
Add the flour along with the cornflour and then whisk to combine.
Add half of the hot milk into the flour-egg mixture, whisking well, and return the mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the milk.
Return the saucepan to heat and cook until it thickens on medium heat, whisking continuously.
Let it boil for a minute stirring continuously then remove it from the heat.
Let it cool down to room temperature.
When the pastry cream has reached room temperature, place the double cream in a large bowl, and start whipping it until you reach stiff peaks.
Don’t worry if your pastry cream is a bit of a blob after chilling.
Whisking it up by hand or with an electric mixer will fix that right up.
Whisk the pastry cream to loosen then fold in the whipped cream gently in 2 stages.
Cook the Puff Pastry
Preheat the oven to 190° C - 375° F (fan oven).
Unroll the store-bought puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. You don't need a rolling pin for this stage.
Cut into 10 equal rectangular pieces.
You can use a ruler if you want them the perfect and the same size.
Place the cut pastries on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Cook them for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Let the cooked puff pastries cool down before filling them with the creme diplomat.
Build the Strawberry Pastries
Carefully split the puff pastry rectangles in half using a small pallet knife or knife.
Place 1- 1 ½ tablespoon of diplomat cream on top of half of the puff pastry sheet and spread a couple of spoonfuls of strawberries on top.
Carefully place the other puff pastry sheet on top.
Repeat the same for all of the puff pastries.
Sprinkle on some icing sugar using a small sieve and then place a piece of strawberry for garnish.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full ingredients list with measurements, complete recipe method, recipe notes, and nutritional information.
Top Tips From the Chef
- Use fresh ripe strawberries for the best flavor and texture.
- Thaw your puff pastry according to package instructions before using.
- Dust a little flour on your work surface to prevent the pastry from sticking.
- Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the puff pastry into even squares.
- Make sure to mix the eggs, cornflour, and sugar together in a separate bowl until you have a nice smooth paste to avoid lumps in your creme patissiere.
- Be sure to chill the diplomat creme before using it to make it easier to handle.
- Assemble the pastry stacks just before serving to keep them from getting soggy.
Variations of Easy Strawberry Puff Pastry Stacks with Cream
- Swap out the strawberries for other fresh fruit, such as blueberries, raspberries, or sliced peaches.
- Add a drizzle of chocolate sauce or caramel sauce over the pastry stacks for an extra decadent touch.
- Mix in some chopped nuts, such as pistachios or almonds, to the diplomat creme for added crunch.
- Sprinkle a little powdered sugar over the top of the pastry stacks before serving for a pretty finishing touch.
- Use a different type of pastry, such as phyllo dough or pie crust, for a unique twist on this favorite simple summer recipe.
Millefeuille means a "thousand sheets, layers or leaves" in French and is made using puff pastry dough. You can make a whole range of treats both sweet and savory with it including this delicious French strawberry dessert.
You can keep these delicious treats in the fridge for 2 days in an airtight container but the pastry will absorb liquid from the filling and lose its crispness. This perfect sweet treat tastes best when served just after being assembled but still tastes great after a day or two.
Yes, you can make the diplomat creme up to a day ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to use.
Just give it a good stir before assembling the pastry stacks.
For more easy yet delicious sweet treats why not try:
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and tag @cookingorgeous on Instagram and hashtag it #cookingorgeous.
I hope you enjoy the process of making these scrumptious Easy Strawberry Puff Pastry Stacks with Cream as much as you enjoy eating them! 🙂
Bon appétit! / Afiyet Olsun!
Easy Strawberry Puff Pastry Stacks with Cream
- 1 sheet all butter puff pastry (35cmx23cm 14"x9") (320 grams)
- 250 ml full fat milk (1 cup)
- 16 g butter (1 tbsp)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- 2 egg yolks
- 80 g sugar
- 14 g flour (1 ¾ tbsp)
- 16 g cornflour (2 ⅛ tbsp)
- 200 ml double cream
- 250 g strawberries (cut in small pieces)
- 5 strawberries cut in halves (to garnish)
- icing sugar (to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C (fan oven).
- Unroll the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface and cut into 10 equal rectangular pieces (2 of the rectangular might be slightly larger).
- Place them on a tray lined with parchment paper and cook for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Let the cooked puff pastries cool down and start making the creme diplomat.
- Place the milk, butter, and vanilla paste in a saucepan and gently bring to simmer on low heat. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture becomes pale and thick. Add the flour along with the cornflour and whisk to combine.
- Add half of the hot milk into the flour-egg mixture, whisking well, and return the mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the milk.
- Return the saucepan to heat and cook until it thickens, whisking continuously. Let it boil for a minute stirring continuously then remove from the heat. Let it cool down to room temperature.
- When the pastry cream has reached room temperature, start whipping the double cream or whipping cream until you reach stiff peaks.
- Whisk the pastry cream to loosen then fold in the whipped cream gently in 2 stages.
- Split the puff pastries in half and put 1- 1 ½ tablespoon of diplomat cream on top of the half puff pastry sheet.
- Place a couple of tablespoons of chopped strawberries on top of the diplomat cream and place the other puff pastry sheet on top. Repeat the same for all of the puff pastries.
- Sprinkle on some icing sugar using a small sieve and place a piece of strawberry for garnish.
- These delicious homemade individual mille-feuille cakes are very easy to make and a crowd pleaser!
- You can fill them with your choice of cream, also you can replace the strawberries with other berries or bananas.
- They can be prepared a couple of days in advance, they will keep fresh for 2 to 3 days in an airtight container.
- If your pastry cream is a bit of a blob after chilling, whisk it up by hand or in the mixer to fix it.
- Make sure to mix the eggs, cornstarch, and sugar together in a separate bowl until you have a nice smooth paste to avoid lumps in your creme patissiere.
This post uses affiliate links. This means that if you click on them and then buy something, we get a small amount of commission to keep the site running, but it doesn’t cost you anything more.
Di Nardo Emilia Maina
I fall in love for this web site I tried few recipe and they were easy to follow and the result it was fabioulus ...I made this cake and the result ot was perfect and delicious
Hello and thank you very much for your lovely comment!
I am glad it turned out perfect for you 🙂
It was indeed easy to make and very good. Thank you
These taste great and looks amazing!😍😍
Thank you for your lovely comment 🙂
They are as delicious as they look! And a very easy recipe to follow.
I made it with bananas and strawberries, so delicious. And addictive! This is our new family favourite.
I am so happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing your experience.
Best summer dessert. quick and easy with a little planning, and impressive to bring to a summer dinner when you are in charge of dessert
This looks so delicious and I love the use of store-bought puff pastry. Thanks for sharing!
I loved making this recipe for my family! It was quick & easy, and the family really enjoyed it.
Absolutely delicious! I can eat that pastry cream with a spoon, so good.
I made it ! It was just delightful and the recipe is quite clear and easy to follow ! Thanks for this, can’t wait to try more of your recipes
Can you clarify if you mean corn flour or corn starch? I see both listed in the recipe details.
It is corn flour, sorry for the confusion!