Yoghurt Dip (Haydari) is a delicious combination of feta cheese and thick strained yoghurt with fresh herbs and chopped walnuts. This tangy dip is one of the most popular mezes in Turkey to accompany raki. It is also widely served in Turkish restaurants with kebabs and pita bread.Jump to Recipe
All you need to prepare this tasty Yoghurt Dip (Haydari) is to gather few ingredients and mix until combined. The two main ingredients are the thick strained yoghurt and feta cheese. If you can’t find strained yoghurt, you can make your own by putting normal yoghurt into a cheesecloth and wait for few hours until you get rid of the excess water in the yoghurt.
How to Make Yoghurt Dip (Haydari)?
Making this delicious dip is very simple and straightforward. However, to achieve the best results you need to follow few simple steps:
- Place the feta cheese in a bowl and turn it into a paste using a fork. The texture of the cheese has an effect on the texture of the dip so creamier is the cheese better is the dip.
- Add the yoghurt, garlic pure, finely chopped dill and walnuts to the bowl and mix well. You can replace the dill with mint or use both together.
- Gently heat the olive oil on low heat in a small saucepan and add the dry mint along with the chilli flakes. Allow 5 minutes to infuse the oil with mint and chilli.
- Transfer the yoghurt and feta mixture into a serving bowl and garnish with mint and chilli infused olive oil.
I hope you enjoy the process of making this delicious yoghurt dip (haydari) as much as you enjoy eating it ! 🙂
Bon appétit! / Afiyet olsun!
Yoghurt Dip (Haydari)
- 75 g feta cheese
- 200 g thick strained yoghurt
- 1 clove garlic (turned into a paste with a pinch of salt)
- 2 tbsp fresh dill (finely chopped)
- 40 g walnut (finely chopped)
- 25 g butter (to garnish)
- ½ TSP dried mint
- ¼ TSP chilli flakes (optional) (to garnish)
- Place the feta cheese in a bowl and turn it into a paste using a fork.
- Gently melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the mint along with the chilli flakes.
- Add the yoghurt, melted butter, garlic pure, finely chopped dill, and walnuts to the bowl and mix well.
- Transfer the yoghurt and feta mixture into a serving bowl and garnish with chilli flakes or drizzle of olive oil.
Did you make this recipe?