Creamy Mashed Potatoes is a perfect side dish for any occasion whether it be a quick weekday meal or a festive dinner party. This simple dish is flavoured with butter and double cream. The addition of some freshly ground black pepper gives it a nice kick. The different variations can be made with the use of extra flavourings such as roasted garlic paste, mustard, chopped herbs, grated hard cheese or soft cheese.Jump to Recipe
Creamy mashed potatoes are a great accompaniment to roast dishes or grilled meats. It is a perfect side dish to serve with Aubergine Meatball Wraps (Islim Kebabi) or Beef Bourguignon. You can also use this fluffy mash potato to top your pies such as cottage pie or fish pie.
How to Cook Creamy Mashed Potatoes?
It is very easy and straightforward to make creamy and fluffy mashed potatoes. To achieve the best results, you need to follow few tips and simple steps:
- Use the right potatoes – The best potatoes for fluffy, smooth and flavoursome mashed potatoes are the ones with higher starch such as Maris Piper, Red Russets, Desire or King Edward. Waxy potatoes require more mashing to become creamy which could leave you with gluey mashed potatoes.
- Start cooking the potatoes with cold water – Put your potatoes in a large pan with plenty of cold water enough to cover them all. This is necessary to have evenly cooked potatoes both inside and outside.
- Cook the potatoes on low heat – Put the pan on medium heat, bring the potatoes to a boil and lower the heat. Gently simmer them without heavy boiling to avoid the potatoes falling apart while cooking. Cook the potatoes thoroughly until soft enough to pierce with a knife easily to avoid the lumps in the mash.
- Let the potatoes dry before mashing – Drain the potatoes well and return to the heat for 30 seconds to make sure the water on the potatoes totally evaporates.
- Don’t use cold butter or cream – Bring the butter to room temperature and warm up the double cream before adding to the potatoes.
- Don’t overwork the potatoes – After adding the butter and the cream, season well with salt and pepper. Mash the potatoes with a ricer or a potato masher. If you use a food processor, make sure you don’t overwork the potatoes. Using the food processor too long will cause the mashed potatoes to get gluey.
I hope you enjoy the process of making this creamy mashed potatoes as much as you enjoy eating it ! 🙂
Bon appétit! / Afiyet olsun!
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 1 kg potatoes (use floury potatoes such as maris piper, red russets,desire or king Edward)
- 30 g butter (room temperature)
- 200 ml double cream (warm)
- ½ tbsp salt
- ½ TSP freshly ground black pepper
- enough cold water to cover the potatoes
- Peel and wash the potatoes, try to cut them into equal chunky sizes to ensure even cooking.
- Place in a large pan with cold water, bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for about 25 minutes or until they are soft enough to pierce with a knife.
- Drain the potatoes and return the pan to heat just for 30 seconds and give it a good shake to dry the potatoes.
- Turn the heat to very low and add the softened butter, warm double cream and plenty of seasoning to the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher until smooth.
- Alternatively, you can use a stand mixer, ricer, mouli or drum sieve.
Did you make this recipe?