This fuss-free yet flavoursome creamy prawn pasta dish is the perfect combination of juicy prawns with garlic, chilli and butter. It is very easy to prepare which makes it perfect for a quick weekday meal or even a romantic dinner for two. To turn this ultimate pasta dish into a feast, serve it with cheesy garlic bread and a nice bowl of salad.
Prawns are the main ingredient of this delicious pasta dish and it is best to try and buy the fresh ones. It adds a luxurious feeling to the dish and they are amazingly juicy. I personally hunt for tiger prawns fresh in the shell, buy them in bulks, peel, devein and freeze for future use. You can keep them frozen for up to 3 months and defrost fairly quick which makes them perfect for emergencies. You can also buy frozen and shelled prawns if you don’t feel comfortable with peeling them yourself.Jump to Recipe
How to Cook Creamy Prawn Pasta?
It is very easy to make this delicious pasta, and it takes very little time to cook. To achieve the best results, you need to follow few simple steps:
- Start cooking the pasta sauce after you put the pasta water for boiling. You will have both the sauce and the pasta ready at the same time.
- For the pasta sauce, use a large wok if you have one or a large non-stick skillet. Place the pan over medium heat, cook the shallots and garlic with butter and oil until soft. Turn the heat up before adding the mushrooms and cook for few minutes, then add the brandy or white wine.
- Add the tomatoes, chilly (optional) and the black pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Stir in the mascarpone cheese until dissolved and pour the double cream in. Add some pasta water in the sauce and let it simmer for 5 to 6 minutes or until it is thick enough to cover the back of a spoon.
- Add the prawns and cook for a minute or until they turn pink. Don’t be tempted to cook any more than that as they will get rubbery and tasteless when overcooked.
- Add the parmesan and the herbs to finish the sauce. Check the seasoning and add salt if needed.
- Drain the pasta and mix it with the sauce until nicely combined.
You can turn this simple dish into a feast with cheesy garlic bread, a bowl of green salad on the side and a nice bottle of wine to wash it off!
I hope you enjoy the process of making this creamy prawn pasta as much as you enjoy eating it! 🙂
Bon appétit! / Afiyet olsun!
Creamy Prawn Pasta
- 400 g fettuccine or linguine pasta
- 1 tbsp salt (to add to water to cook the pasta)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium banana shallot (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 200 g button or chestnut mushrooms (sliced)
- 100 ml brandy or dry white wine
- 300 g cherry tomatoes (cut in halves)
- 1 red chilli (optional) (finely chopped)
- 1 TSP freshly ground black pepper
- 40 g mascarpone cheese
- 300 ml double cream
- 450 g tiger prawns (peeled, deveined and cut in half lengthwise)
- 100 g parmesan (grated)
- 1 tbsp parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp dill (finely chopped)
- salt to taste
- Put a large pan on high heat with enough water to cook pasta and add 1 tbsp salt.
- Cook the pasta following the instructions on the packaging.
- Start making the sauce while the pasta is cooking.
- Put a wok or a large non-stick skillet on medium to low heat.
- Melt the butter and add the olive oil.
- Add shallots and garlic, cook them until softened.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the mushrooms, sauté for few minutes.
- Add the brandy or dry white wine and reduce until it’s totally evaporated.
- Add cherry tomatoes, chilli and freshly ground black pepper, cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes are softened.
- Stir in the mascarpone cheese until nicely combined then add the double cream.
- Add some pasta water (approximately 100 ml)and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes until the creamy mixture is thick enough to cover the back of a spoon.
- Add the prawns and cook for another minute or until they are pink. If you cook any longer than that, they will shrink and get a rubbery texture.
- Add the parmesan, check the seasoning and add some salt if needed.
- Drain the cooked pasta and add it to your sauce.
- Remove from the heat, add the herbs and stir until nicely combined.
Did you make this recipe?