Delicious, colorful, and refreshing Greek Cucumber Salad is a perfect side dish whether it's for your summer BBQ parties or family meals. It is made with healthy ingredients such as cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, olives, and feta cheese. This simple Greek Salad is ready in 15 minutes and packed with Mediterranean flavors you will love.
This light and fresh Greek Cucumber Salad makes the perfect side to many Mediterranean dishes such as Orman Kebabi, Cokertme Kebabi, and Spinach With Eggs. You can also serve it on its own as a light meal or supper. It is made with a few good quality ingredients and doesn't need much preparation or fancy presentation.
Why This Recipe Works?
- It is healthy, colorful, refreshing, and extremely delicious.
- You can make it in just 15 minutes, with no cooking required.
- It is a great side to many dishes or summer BBQs but also can be served as a light meal on its own.
- This Greek Cucumber Salad is not only delicious but is a refreshing mix of vegetables, tangy feta cheese, and a light dressing.
Ingredients and Substitutes
- Cucumbers - You can use half of a large cucumber if you can't find mini Persian cucumbers. If using large cucumbers, you might want to remove the seeds before cutting them.
- Tomatoes - I prefer cherry tomatoes but you can use any firm, salad tomatoes you have in hand.
- Lettuce - Although traditional Greek Salad doesn't contain any lettuce, I prefer adding it for extra crunchiness. Omit it and add extra cucumbers if you prefer.
- Peppers - You can use any type of peppers you have in hand or leave it out.
- Feta - For the best flavor, I highly recommend using a good quality full-fat Feta cheese. You can also use grilled halloumi.
- Olives - Traditional Greek Salad uses kalamata olives but I prefer black olives. You can omit it or use your favorite type!
- Olive oil - Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil for the best results.
- Vinegar - Red wine vinegar is traditionally used for dressing but white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar works perfectly fine too.
- Mustard - It is optional, I love the sharpness it adds to the Vinaigrette but you can leave it out.
How to Make Greek Cucumber Salad?
This is a very simple, straightforward recipe and to achieve the best results, you need to follow a few simple steps:
- Prepare the Vegetables - Cut your vegetables the same size for a more impressive presentation or simply cut them in large chunks for a rustic look. Try and use fresh vegetables while they are still at their best.
- Prepare the Vinaigrette - The most important ingredient of a salad is the dressing. To prepare the vinaigrette for Greek salad, in a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, and oregano. Slowly add the olive oil while still whisking until it forms a thick creamy sauce.
- Gently Combine the Vegetables with the Vinaigrette - In a large bowl or a plate, place the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, and half of the feta cheese, and herbs. Drizzle the vinaigrette on the vegetables and lightly toss using 2 wooden spoons or your fingers just to combine. Sprinkle the rest of the feta on top before serving.
Top Tip From the Chef
You can make the Greek Salad dressing ahead and keep it in the fridge for up to a week. Bring it to room temperature before using it for your salad.
This salad is not only extremely delicious but also full of nutrition. And one generous portion of this healthy salad has only 273 kcal.
You can pair this refreshing salad with almost everything, especially with Mediterranean food. Why not try it with Islim Kebabi (Aubergine Meatball Wraps), Baked Prawns (Karides Guvec), Slow Cooked Lamb Ragu, Dutch Oven Roast Chicken, Tantuni, or Baked Turkish Meatballs?
A simple Greek Salad dressing is made with only red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and dried oregano. I prefer using Greek Vinaigrette for my Greek salad which is made with dijon mustard, red wine or white wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, dried oregano, and a pinch of sugar to balance the acidity.
For more delicious & healthy Mediterranean flavors why not try:
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and tag @cookingorgeous on Instagram and hashtag it #cookingorgeous.
I hope you enjoy the process of making this colorful Greek Salad as much as you enjoy eating it! 🙂
Bon appétit! / Afiyet olsun!
This recipe features Fantastically Fun Family BBQ Ideas.
Greek Cucumber Salad
For the vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar/apple cider vinegar)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad
- ½ iceberg lettuce or roman lettuce (washed and sliced)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (cut in halves)
- 1 small cucumber (cut in 2 cm dices or sliced ½ cm thickness)
- ½ red onion (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut in 2 cm dices)
- 150 g feta cheese (cut in 2 cm dices)
- 10 pitted olives
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- For the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, and oregano.
- Slowly add the olive oil while still whisking until it forms a thick creamy sauce.
- In a large bowl or a plate, place the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, half of the feta cheese, pitted olives, and herbs.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette on the vegetables and lightly toss using 2 wooden spoons or your fingers just to combine.
- Sprinkle the rest of the feta cubes on top before serving.
- You can serve Greek Cucumber Salad as a side dish with many Mediterranean dishes.
- This simple dish is ready in only 15 minutes.
- Use fresh vegetables while they are still at their best.
- While making the dressing, slowly add the olive oil while still whisking until it forms a thick creamy sauce.
- Gently combine the vegetables with the dressing.
- You can make the Greek Salad dressing ahead and keep it in the fridge for up to a week.
This post use affiliate links. This means that if you click on them and then buy something, we get a small amount of commission to keep the site running, but it doesn’t cost you anything more.
I made this salad recipe today, Oh it turned out so delicious!