Greek salad is a healthy, colourful and refreshing salad usually made of tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, olives and feta cheese, then lightly dressed with olive oil, salt and oregano. My addition to this popular salad is some lettuce for some extra crunchiness. I also make a vinaigrette with red wine vinegar for extra flavour.
Greek salad is a perfect accompaniment to many dishes and it is very easy & quick to make. It’s versatile. you can customize it to your taste and make it more fun. I sometimes add avocado or beetroot and replace the feta cheese with grilled halloumi. Basil is another great herb you can use for Greek salad if you don’t have mint or parsley.Jump to Recipe
How to Make Greek Salad?
This is a very simple, straightforward recipe and to achieve the best results, you need to follow few simple steps:
- Prepare the Vegetables – This is a very colourful salad and the way you present the vegetables make it look even more attractive. Cutting the vegetables the same size will make the salad look more appetizing. Try and use fresh vegetables while they are still at their best. Although authentic Greek salad doesn’t contain any lettuce or leaves, I love the addition of a different texture to the salad.
- Prepare the Vinaigrette – The most important ingredient of a salad is the dressing. To prepare the vinaigrette for Greek salad, in a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar and oregano. Slowly add the olive oil while still whisking until it forms a thick creamy sauce.
- Gently Combine the Vegetables with the Vinaigrette – In a large bowl or a plate, place the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, half of the feta cheese and herbs. Drizzle the vinaigrette on the vegetables and lightly toss using 2 wooden spoons or your fingers just to combine. Sprinkle the rest of the feta on top before serving.
I hope you enjoy the process of making this colorful Greek Salad as much as you enjoy eating it! 🙂
Bon appétit! / Afiyet olsun!
For the vinaigrette
- 1 TSP dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar/apple cider vinegar)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ TSP dried oregano
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of salt
- ¼ TSP freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad
- ½ iceberg lettuce or roman lettuce (washed and sliced)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (cut in halves)
- 1 small cucumber (cut in 2 cm dices or sliced ½ cm thickness)
- ½ red onion (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut in 2 cm dices)
- 150 g feta cheese (cut in 2 cm dices)
- 10 pitted olives
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- For the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar and oregano.
- Slowly add the olive oil while still whisking until it forms a thick creamy sauce.
- In a large bowl or a plate, place the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, half of the feta cheese, pitted olives and herbs.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette on the vegetables and lightly toss using 2 wooden spoons or your fingers just to combine.
- Sprinkle the rest of the feta cubes on top before serving.
Did you make this recipe?