Spinach with Eggs (Ispanakli Yumurta) is a delicious, healthy and filling one-pot dish you can serve for brunch, lunch or a quick weeknight dinner. Same as Cilbir - Turkish Poached Eggs and Menemen - Turkish Scrambled Eggs, all you need is 20 minutes and a few fresh Mediterranean ingredients to make this simple egg dish.
The secret to this healthy Turkish recipe for spinach and eggs is using good quality ingredients such as fresh spinach leaves, free-range eggs and extra virgin olive oil. You can turn this nutritious and flavoursome dish into a vegetarian meal by omitting the mince!
Why This Recipe Works?
- You can serve this delicious egg dish at any time of the day.
- This is the perfect low-calorie & healthy breakfast dish with eggs! One portion contains only 288 kcal.
- You can cook the spinach base a couple of days in advance and add the eggs last minute, just before serving.
- Spinach and eggs are really ideal for busy mornings when you want a hot filling breakfast.
Ingredients and Substitutes
- Spinach - I use fresh baby spinach leaves as they are sweeter in taste. You can also use chopped spinach leaves instead. Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly and dry them before cooking.
- Minced meat - You can use minced beef, lamb or even a mixture of both for this recipe. Omit it for the vegetarian option and add an extra chopped onion.
- Wild garlic pesto - I prefer using homemade Wild Garlic Pesto as I always have some in my freezer and it tastes amazing. Any pesto would work with a bit of extra garlic addition!
- Onions - You can use white, brown or yellow onions.
- Olive oil - I use a good quality olive oil to achieve the best flavour.
- Garlic - Fresh garlic is a great flavouring that adds sweetness and nuttiness to dishes. Turn it into a paste with a Mortar and Pestle or grate it using a Microplane Zester Grater. Omit it if using wild garlic pesto.
- Nutmeg - I use freshly grated instead of powder nutmeg for more intense flavour and freshness.
- Seasoning - Adjust the amount of the seasoning and spices to your taste.
Making this delicious Spinach and Egg recipe is quite simple. However, to achieve the best results, you need to follow a few simple steps and tips:
Put a wok or a large pan on medium heat and add the mince. Brown the mince, breaking it down into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
Add olive oil if needed and sauté the onions until soft and translucent without browning them. Stir in the garlic and sauté for another minute before adding the flaked chilli, salt, nutmeg, wild garlic pesto and pepper. Skip the garlic if using wild garlic pesto.
Add the spinach to the pan. Don’t worry if it’s all piled up as it will wilt quickly. When the spinach wilts, stir it around to mix with the onions and mince.
Simmer for a couple of minutes over low heat and then make 4 wells in your mixture.
Crack the eggs into the wells, cover the pan and leave to simmer for a few minutes, until the egg whites have set. Cook for a few more minutes if you want the yolks set as well.
For more delicious & healthy Mediterranean Recipes why not try:
We enjoy our spinach with eggs dish with a dollop of yoghurt on the side. If I am serving it for lunch or dinner, I serve it with some nice bread on the side such as Tawa Naan With Garlic, Turkish Pide Bread - Ramazan Pidesi or Bazlama (Turkish Flatbread).
You can keep the leftovers refrigerated for up to three days. Unfortunately, this dish is not suitable for freezing because of the egg content. However, you can freeze the spinach mixture without adding the eggs and keep it for up to three months in the freezer.
Top Tip From the Chef
You can experiment with this simple dish by adding different flavourings such as tomato paste, smoked paprika, cumin or lemon juice!
I hope you enjoy the process of making this delicious Spinach and Eggs dish as much as you enjoy eating it!🙂
Bon appétit! / Afiyet Olsun!
Did you make this recipe?
Spinach With Eggs (Ispanakli Yumurta)
- 300 g minced beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 500 g spinach (washed and chopped)
- ½ teaspoon flaked chilli (pul biber)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon wild garlic pesto
- 4 eggs
- Put a wok or a large pan on medium heat and add the mince.
- Brown the mince, breaking it down into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add olive oil if needed and sauté the onions until soft and translucent without browning them.
- Stir in the garlic and sauté for another minute before adding the flaked chilli, salt, nutmeg, wild garlic pesto and pepper. Skip the garlic if using wild garlic pesto.
- Add the spinach to the pan. Don’t worry if it’s all piled up as it will wilt quickly. When the spinach wilts, stir it around to mix with the onions and mince.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes over low heat and then make 4 wells in your mixture.
- Crack the eggs into the wells, cover the pan and leave to simmer for a few minutes, until the egg whites have set. Cook for a few more minutes if you want the yolks set as well.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking points to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more guidelines at USDA.gov.
This post use affiliate links. This means that if you click on them and then buy something, we get a small amount of commission to keep the site running, but it doesn’t cost you anything more.