These spicy chicken wings with honey are very easy to make and finger-licking good. The only downside is that they are so damn addictive! Although they are generally considered as an appetizer or party food, they can be served as a main dish with a bowl of Egg Fried Rice, cajun potato wedges, or just fries. My favorite dip to serve these sticky chicken wings is homemade Chili Jam or sweet chili sauce.Jump to Recipe
What I love about this recipe is that I don’t have to fry the chicken wings for crispness or flavor. Oven-baked chicken wings are much easier, healthier, and less messy than the fried versions. It is also very quick to prepare so, it makes an ideal dinner for a busy weekday.
What makes this simple dish so special is the two magic ingredients that I use for the marinade:
Tomato paste is a great ingredient for marinating chicken and it is commonly used in Turkish cuisine. A spoonful of tomato paste gives a red bright color and a tanginess to the chicken.
The 2nd magic ingredient is the Garlic Ginger Paste, which adds an incredible spicy flavor and amazing color to the chicken wings.
Other ingredients for spicy chicken wings marinade are soy sauce (I prefer Kikkoman all-purpose soy sauce), sesame oil, honey, mirin, rice wine, chili flakes, and freshly ground black or white pepper. You can substitute mirin with dry sherry or sweet marsala wine, and also you can substitute rice wine with Shaoxing wine or sake.
How to Make Spicy Chicken Wings?
This is a very simple, straightforward recipe and to achieve the best results, you need to follow few simple steps:
- Prepare the chicken wings – Remove the tips of the chicken wings and cut the wings in between two joints so you have the drumettes and the flat piece containing two long bones separated.
- Prepare the marinade – Simply combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and mix well.
- Marinate the chicken wings – Add the chicken wings to the bowl with the marinade and mix well until the wings are nicely coated. Cover the bowl and let the wings marinate for a minimum of 2 hours, ideally overnight.
- Cook them until sticky and crispy – Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Spread the chicken wings in a single layer on a baking tray. Cook for 50 to 60 minutes until the wings are nicely caramelized and started to crisp on the edges. While cooking, rotate the chicken wings and glaze them with the marinade every 15 minutes. Garnish them with sliced spring onions and/or thinly sliced red chilli.
Yes, this recipe works perfectly on the BBQ or grill. Make sure your grill is piping hot before putting the chicken wings on to avoid them sticking.
Yes, oven-baked or grilled chicken wings are much healthier than fried versions as they contain fewer calories, fat, and sodium.
I usually bake my chicken wings at 180 °C (fan oven) for 45 to 50 minutes and on medium heat BBQ or grill for 20 to 25 minutes.
I hope you enjoy the process of making these crispy oven-baked Spicy Chicken Wings as much as you enjoy eating them! 🙂
Bon appétit! / Afiyet Olsun!
Spicy Chicken Wings
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic&ginger paste
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tbsp rice wine
- ½ tbsp mirin
- 1 TSP chilli flakes
- ½ TSP freshly ground black pepper
- ½ TSP salt
- sliced fresh chilies and spring onion to garnish
- Remove the tips of the chicken wings and cut the wings in between two joints so you have the drumettes and the flat piece containing two long bones separated.
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the chicken wings and mix well until the wings are nicely coated with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl and let the wings marinate for a minimum of 2 hours, ideally overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (fan oven).
- Spread the chicken wings in a single layer on a baking tray.
- Cook for 50 to 60 minutes until the wings are nicely caramelized and started to crisp on the edges.
- During the cooking period, rotate the chicken wings and glaze them with the marinade every 15 minutes making sure all sides are covered evenly.
- Garnish with some sliced spring onions and red chili.
Did you make this recipe?